This summer I haven’t taken much of a vacation. I taught Summer Academy in June and now I’m teaching 4 weeks of 5th grade summer school. I’m definitely getting my classroom fix that I miss during the school year as a tech integration specialist! Like the hilarious things students say!
Setting: Summer school. Reading Lesson about “Guide Dogs”
Student #1: Miss O, why are they called “guide dogs”?
Student #2 (Blurts out!): Because they are dogs for guys…guy dogs. [say it to yourself: guide dogs sounds exactly like "guy dogs"]
Miss O: It’s not “Guy Dogs” it’s “GuiDe Dogs” because they guiDe people.
Student #2: Ohhhhh.
Anyway, when I was a 4th grade teacher in Texas (Hey y’all!), I taught a LOT of writing. Since I had to read and grade all those lovely compositions, I began to get smart about my prompts. If I gave an interesting prompt, I had a much better of chance of laughing hysterically on my couch on Sunday afternoons while I graded!
Confession: I gave my students amusing writing prompts for my own entertainment. Gasp! I know, I’m the worst. Seriously though, it makes writing way more fun!
One of my favorites every year was: Why is school important? It seems like a harmless prompt, but oh, it was always very enlightening! So here, are some from my composition hall of fame:
Top 10 Reasons why school is important According to my 4th Graders:
- To make friends.
- So you can move out of your family’s house (because you don’t like them too much)
- To learn…who wants to marry someone who doesn’t know anything?
- To get a job and be famous.
- To go to college, where they give you money.
- So that you can play college football, then NFL, then get a wife and then get married.
- To study planets.
- Because it takes a lot of responsibility to be president.
- To get good grades and have a good life.
- School is greatness.
Hope your enjoying your summer! Ask your kids why school is important and share their answers :)